Carlton DeVooght's recruiting update ... what a wild week
Posted on Feb 1, 2013 |
The past few days since my last recruiting update have been as crazy as the weather in the state of Georgia. Here are a couple of highlights.
• Right now, it does not look like Running back Jonathan “Rudy” Ford will visit Athens this weekend.
• It appears that UGA might have actually slipped ahead of Auburn AT THIS POINT in the Reuben Foster sweepstakes. In an incredibly interesting turn of events, his buddy and former Auburn commitment, Dee Liner, a defensive end from Muscle Shoals, Alabama was visited by the Bulldogs on Thursday. Many thought Liner to be Bama-bound, but he may be taking an official to the Classic City this weekend. The Bulldog coaches would then be the last group of coaches to have face time with this dynamic defensive end prospect. Believe it or not, even folks in the Auburn camp believe that Foster is headed to Athens. A lot could change with Foster, but things look very good right now.
• Frequent Flyers. The Georgia coaches went back and forth through the terrible storms we had Wednesday night between Norcross, visiting Alvin Kamara and his family, and Lake City, Florida visiting Laremy Tunsil and his family. I do not just mean they spent time with each prospect and his family. I mean they started in Lake City, flew to Norcross, then went back to Lake City and then back to Norcross. This is just one example of the incredible effort that the coaches are making to close this class. They realize they have a golden opportunity to sign as many as 4 five star prospects, and are doing everything physically possible to make this class truly special.
• The incredible effort the Bulldogs have made with Alvin Kamara seems to be paying off. While he is not giving either coach the nod, I believe things are breaking Georgia’s way.
• There are major legs to the rumors that Tunsil is considering Ole Miss.
• The word out of Dooly County is that Montravius Adams is much more relaxed than he has been in the recruiting process. Could this be because he has decided? While no one is certain, it does appear that the Bulldogs are the team to beat. Besides, he will be announcing at the gym at this High School, which is filled with Georgia fans. He certainly does not want to be booed by the hometown crowd by putting on a purple and orange baseball cap at 9:45 on Wednesday morning.
• Davin Bellamy does appear to warrant between Georgia and Tennessee, but it appears that he has more faith in the coaches at Georgia and their ability to get him to the league. It still looks like Georgia is the team to beat here.
• Junior college stand out Toby Johnson (Defensive End) was long thought to be a Georgia lean, and at one point was considering enrolling in June. Right now, he has announced that he will not decide until February 13, one week after National signing day. He wants to take two more official visits over the next two weekends and then make his decision. While many still feel he is a Georgia lean, the recent developments could mean that the Georgia class fills up before Johnson makes his decision.
• One other key point to this potentially incredible finish to this class is the work of the early enrollees. Georgia has 13 early enrollees that are members of the 2013 recruiting class. It has clearly helped with prospects like Alvin Kamara and Reuben Foster to have these early enrollees serve as hosts on their official visits. Additionally, Shaq Wiggins has made the trip to Athens last week during Foster’s visit and will be visiting town again this week while Dee Liner, Matthew Thomas and others are in town. It is clear that these young men want to be a part of not only a special class, but championships at UGA.
Hold on to your hats as we have six days until National Signing Day. If this much has changed since Monday afternoon, think what all can happen between now and next Wednesday. As always, Go Dawgs.
However, let’s not kid anyone yet. We’re merely beating bad teams at present. Does that automatically make us good? Of course not. But it does feel good. DMV Escorts | Baltimore Escorts | Maryland Escorts
Fan Photos: View & Purchase
Our Team's News & Blogs
2013 BI Issue Dates
February 26: 2013 Signing Day/Pre-spring
April 23: Spring Football
June 4: 2013 Football Preview
July 23: SEC Preview/Media Days
August 13: Fall Camp Update
August 27: Clemson
September 3: South Carolina
September 17: North Texas
September 24: LSU
October 1: Tennessee
October 8: Missouri
October 15: Vandy
October 29: Georgia/Florida
November 5: Appalachian State
November 12: Auburn
November 19: Kentucky
November 26: Tech
December 10: Bowl Preview